Friday 28 May 2010

Real Simple Syndication - was it?

This week we were asked to explore RSS feeds. RSS is something I've used in the past but for some reason tend to dip in and out of. I used to avidly use Googlereader but logging in today I noticed that for some reason I must have decided to neglect it at some point over the past two years. I have no idea why! For the past couple of months I've been saving any interesting blogs I find into my favourites bar and then clicking on them randomly whenever I feel the need. Now I'm thinking about it, this is both (a) time consuming and (b) makes following posts more difficult than it really could be if you remembered about the simplicity of RSS! I think my favourite option of the three tested was definately Google Reader. One of my favourite things about it is that it marks the posts so that you know when you have read them (just like emails)

Thing 5 To the right you can see 'Thing 5'

My virus troubles last week prompted some good advice from Emma about using Firefox so this was my browser of choice.






Thing 6 - My google reader (starring all of you lot!)









Thing 7
- My NHS MyLibrary RSS reader. I can see how this could be a really good resource for NHS staff as its just one place where they can search for journal articles, keep on top of current health news items etc.


This task has been a great reminder of just how 'simple' RSS can make things! No more trawling through the favourites bar for me then...

4 comments:

  1. CAKE!!! great post - not least because your second attempt didn't infect any computers with a virus!! well done!
    I.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenni,

    Are you aware of JournalTOCs http://www.journaltocs.hw.ac.uk/ Easy to use interface to 14,000 journal Tables of Contents RSS feeds?

    Also, it's now possible to provide customised versions of JournalTOCs for libraries http://www.journaltocs.hw.ac.uk/API/blog/

    Roddy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Firefox is definitely the best web browser, I haven't looked back since leaving IE behind. I was worried my "pretty" blog was too girly, but I loving the pinkness of yours.

    ReplyDelete