Monday 17 May 2010

Thing 1 and 2



So our first task was to create an igoogle id and personalise our pages which proved to be quite fun. To the right you can see my igoogle page and what my work tab looks like. It looks slightly boring with just the newton widget and the calculator so far...if anyone has any suggestions of what to add, let me know!





To the left you can see my 'personal' tab on igoogle. It did include a tab with penguins roaming about and also another one with a game...but I found this a bit to distracting!! I think that could be one of the potential downfalls of igoogle and perhaps an interesting discussion point. When does a work sort of tool become a 'not so work' type of tool? I think it would be very easy to cross that invisible boundary. Which I guess is a big plus of using the separate tabs as you can keep work/personal separate or do as you choose. So maybe I'll consider re-adding my poor orphaned penguins!

I also had a look at pageflakes and netvibes - again interesting tools and I can really see the advantages of using these, especially when in a situation where you are using the same computer (enquiry desk etc) and you don't want to lose any of your bookmarks. I personally preferred netvibes..although I'm not entirely sure why...to be continued!

3 comments:

  1. "When does a work sort of tool become a 'not so work' type of tool?"

    Good question, and a very good reason for me to avoid the Procrastination tab I set up in iGoogle. As if I didn't have enough distractions already!

    Speaking of which, back to the studying...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My experience of social media is that it is very difficult to separate the work and the personal and I think the blurring of these boundaries is fine most of the time. I've stopped worrying about it so much anyway. Enjoying your blog - keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the potential for iGoogle to become a procrastination device, but I think that may be where having different tabs comes in to keep te boundary between work and play.

    ReplyDelete